Update from BANES Council
BANES Council currently have a weed spraying contractor engaged in spraying weeds across the district.
As per the Parish Scheme Agreement BANES Council have informed us of the date that our parish is due to be sprayed.
Farrington Gurney Parish Council date is scheduled as 07.06.2019. Note that this date may change due to inclement weather, if it changes by more than 5 days we will be advised and update this website post.
We have been provided the following information / advice about the spraying:
- They will have 2 people from a company called Charlton Environmental carrying targeted spraying on foot.
- They will be using back packs with spray lances and will target spray weeds, that is they won’t blanket spray everywhere. The system is called CDA (Controlled Droplet Application) which also reduces the amount of drift spray.
- They will be using weed killing chemical called Monsanto Amenity 360 which contains glyphosate. This will kill the plant that the chemical used only targets the plants it is sprayed on, it has no residual properties, and so will not prevent any future germination of plant material.
- It will take about 2 to 3 weeks to take effect and we advise that once the plant is dead that it is removed shortly after.
- BANES Council have advised that they are unable to return to spray weeds that grow after we have sprayed.
- As you may be aware glyphosate has been in the news as some organisations have stated that it may be carcinogenic. In December 2017 the EU Commission reviewed the use of GL and extended the legal use of GL for a further 5 years.
- You can find out more about the legislation here.